Friday, December 20, 2013

28mm AWI MAURICE CAMPAIGN 2 GAME 3 – ACTION AT SWAMPY BEND

On Saturday Dave Paterson and I played the third game in our second Maurice AWI campaign – the Action at Swampy Bend.   Here are the forces for the game. 

BRITISH ARMY
8 TRAINED REGULAR INFANTRY
4 CONSCRIPT REGULAR INFANTRY
2 TRAINED REGULAR CAVALRY
3 ARTILLERY
2 IRREGULAR CAVALRY
2 IRREG INFANTRY
National advantages - OBLIQUE ORDER, RALLY TO THE COLOURS
Notables – De Vique, Kershaw

Patriot centre in distance British on ridge and along fence line
 PATRIOT ARMY
3 TRAINED REGULAR INFANTRY
9 CONSCRIPT REGULAR INFANTRY
2 TRAINED REGULAR CAVALRY
3 ARTILLERY
2 IRREGULAR CAVALRY
2 IRREG INFANTRY
National advantages - OBLIQUE ORDER, SKIRMISH, PROFESSIONAL TRAIN
Notable – Laurent Van Hussen

Advanced Rules in use – Oblique Order, Light artillery, All Guns bombard, Honours of War

Patriot riflemen get into action with their opponents
We used the Eve of Battle pre-battle system by Michael Schneider of the SESWC to try to give a greater variety to the games with special events, weather, terrain and additional troops.  This determined that I was the attacker and that Dave actually moved first. 
I deployed 2 units of irregulars on my left flank facing the swamp and Dave deployed 3 irregular units facing the swamp.  My other 2 irregular infantry units occupied my far right flank facing a single unit of Dave’s.  Dave positioned his conscript infantry occupying the long ridge on his right centre with his trained infantry along a fence line on his left centre.  I massed my main body to attack the long ridge and held back my right centre.
Main attack on the ridge line
At the start of the game I moved my Patriot irregulars on the left flank into the swamp  to engage the end of Dave’s line.  I moved my main force to attack the conscripts on the ridge and started a major firefight.    At one point I held both firefight cards, both dense smoke cards and a lethal volley card.  This good luck enabled me to hold my own against the superior British ability to rally and I thought I was at least equal in the firefight.  Sadly at the key point I threw 24 volley dice in one turn and scored not a single hit.  After that my force steadily went downhill as Dave brought his regulars across the fence line to engage my right but it was still a tough fight. 
British cross fence line to engage my refused left flank conscripts
When my army’s morale broke we had both lost 7 units but most of Dave’s were artillery or irregulars whilst mine were regulars.  Another hard fought and enjoyable game.  Photos from this battle with descriptions are on flickr at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/bill26048/sets/72157638222458633/

6 comments:

  1. Yet again a great looking game of Maurice!

    Christopher

    ReplyDelete
  2. Third game Bill, third game!

    Jim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jim. Problem of using last AAR as the starting point.
      Merry Xmas.....

      Delete
  3. Biil could you pint m to where I can see that eve of battle system please-i game napoleonics would it be applicable? Peter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter

      Yes it is suitable for any horse and musket period games. Michaels' blog is at
      http://meneken.blogspot.co.uk/
      Contact him for more info.

      Delete